Wednesday, September 14, 2005

« And to think that I saw it on TV last night »

By Matthew Cary
Often times when I get home from work, and even sometimes before work, and when I'm not doing anything at all, I channel surf. Last night was one of those nights.

As I was reading highlights about last nights Indians win over Oakland, I laughed out loud. Reading an article by AP Sports Writer Tom Withers, I was amazed by the wonderful use of adjectives in his description of the game. For example, his description of one of Clevelands five double plays:

"...a comical one in the ninth when rotund closer Bob Wickman tumbled over the
bag while attempting to catch the return throw at first. Wickman hit the ground,
bounced and blocked the throw with his body before alertly touching the base to
get Oakland's Dan Johnson, who had missed the base as he ran by."

Yes, Bob Wickman is rotund, and he does bounce when he falls.

Furthermore, he went on to describe the 21 minute game delay:

"The game was delayed for 21 minutes in the sixth when a computer system shut
down and caused several of the toothbrush-shaped light towers above Jacobs Field
to go dark."

Hey, Dick Jacobs. Paul Bunyan called and he wants to know why you stole his toothbrushes.

The only thing that I could think of that would make watching the highlights better would be Marv Albert and Frank Layden doing the commentary for it.